Phone-In

Talk about Audio On Demand or Streaming
Necromancer

Phone-In

Post by Necromancer »

Hey

I want to do a Phone-In segment for a show I participate in...I'm currently using a mixer and an analog microphone plugged into my computer to do my bidding.

Is there a phone I can buy that has a mic (XRM) output on it? If not, how do the guys on FM radio do their phone-in shows?
Thanks,

Necromancer
Chief Technical Officer/New Talent Coordinator
Undead Broadcasting Network

http://www.undeadradio.com
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

usually they have a device which is actually hooked up to the mixer board that pipes audio in from the mixer's mic. It's a tad different in an FM station. For your purposes if you use a PC as part of your show or which feeds audio to your final output you can use the modem (if it's built in or a PCI modem) and use the soundcard to pipe the caller in that way.
- Jay
Jeffradio

Post by Jeffradio »

I did a bunch of stuff in an effort to get decent quality telephone audio on-air. Technically, any device that can get audio into your mixer would work. Of course, that doesnt mean it will work WELL.

Telephones are problematic for a couple of reasons:
1) the audio on your end is much louder than the audio you receive-thus you really need separate volume controls for the two signals;
2) they HUM.

The best way to deal with these issues is to purchase a digital hybrid telephone patch. You'll have separate audio control over caller and callee and hum control/elimination. This may also allow you to speak to your caller through your studio mic depending on your soundcard/mixer/software setup.

I bought this one: http://www.jkaudio.com/inline-patch.htm
There are less expensive options available.

Jeff