Bandwidth /alternatives / few questions

Talk about Audio On Demand or Streaming
DJ Zero

Bandwidth /alternatives / few questions

Post by DJ Zero »

Hey guys.. im fairly new to the streaming audio scene (belay that.. im flat out new)

Anyways.. i had a few questions..

heres number 1:
im currently streaming at 96 kpbs from winamp.. now.. does that mean thats the upload stream speed? or just the quality of the music itself?

2. im running cable modem with a linksys wireless g router... if one person is listening, its clean (no buffering etc) if 3-4 people listen, they start buffering every 1-3 minutes or so... my question is....

would switching from wireless to cat5/5e alleviate some of this problem? in my opinion. Ii think it would.. only because cat5/5e can go 10/100/ or 1000 (if your running gigabit which im not) where as wireless can go 54 or 108 (but im running reg wirelessg, not super g or pre-n)

Do you think there will be a buffering difference if i run a cable to the router instead of goin wireless?

3rd question:

I have a friend of mine with a pc thats on a t-1 connection... is it possible to set up the dnas s/w on that machine.. then stream the audio from my pc to that machine, then out to the net? would that also eliminate the buffering?? or no..? would a t-1 line be able to handle 2-3 different djs streaming at different times?

They would just have to connect to it when they were up to go on right?

thanks for your help

Dj Zero
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Re: Bandwidth /alternatives / few questions

Post by Jay »

DJ Zero wrote: heres number 1:
im currently streaming at 96 kpbs from winamp.. now.. does that mean thats the upload stream speed? or just the quality of the music itself?
kbps is the bits utilized in one second of audio data. so a 96 kbps stream is using 96kb in one second in the stream. Also this is a file bitrate. Across the network there no account for packet headers so overhead can make it as much as 100kbps on network.
DJ Zero wrote: 2. im running cable modem with a linksys wireless g router... if one person is listening, its clean (no buffering etc) if 3-4 people listen, they start buffering every 1-3 minutes or so... my question is....

would switching from wireless to cat5/5e alleviate some of this problem? in my opinion. Ii think it would.. only because cat5/5e can go 10/100/ or 1000 (if your running gigabit which im not) where as wireless can go 54 or 108 (but im running reg wirelessg, not super g or pre-n)

Do you think there will be a buffering difference if i run a cable to the router instead of goin wireless?
If these people on on the internet then your bottleneck is most likely your cable connection. You will be most concerned with the upload speed of the connection (as opposed to the well advertised download speed). This speed is typically much slower then your download speeds. A wireless as opposed to cabled connection will make no difference at this level of listeners.
DJ Zero wrote: 3rd question:

I have a friend of mine with a pc thats on a t-1 connection... is it possible to set up the dnas s/w on that machine.. then stream the audio from my pc to that machine, then out to the net? would that also eliminate the buffering?? or no..? would a t-1 line be able to handle 2-3 different djs streaming at different times?

They would just have to connect to it when they were up to go on right?

thanks for your help

Dj Zero
They would need to setup an audio server package in relay mode, in your case SHOUTcast DNAS can relay your existing shoutcast server. You can also directly feed it if you find that your cable connection is only able to support 1 listener anyway. A T1's capacity is typically 1.5Mbps, accounting for overhead you could probably get about 14 listeners on there at 96kbps. The amount of DJ's makes no difference if you are timesharing a server.
- Jay
DJ Zero

Post by DJ Zero »

Ok.. thanks for the heads up Jay... now.. would lowering the bitrate allow me to get more listeners on the same connection? (ie 24 kbps) ??
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

yes but not not many more, maybe 6 or 7
- Jay