Online Radio Broadcasting- Legal issues

Talk about Audio On Demand or Streaming
HardcoreTB

Online Radio Broadcasting- Legal issues

Post by HardcoreTB »

Hey all,

First of all, I have to say that the information I have found here on the site has been extremely helpful and so, thank you.

That said, the only things I have yet to come across are any articles or other information concerning the legal end of online radio broadcasting such as copyright laws, where and how to obtain licenses (if needed), etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction (and hopefully not directly to a lawyer)?

-Hardcore
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

well unfortunately I cannot disseminate advice on legal matters. I am not a lawyer. It would be quite unethical to do so, especially considering much of the laws surrounding Internet Radio are untested.
- Jay
HardcoreTB

Post by HardcoreTB »

I understand that giving legal advice would be unethical, I was more or less seeing if someone could just point me in the right direction.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

well alot of that depends on your stream. What you expect from it or where you want to go with it.

There are so many options that it is almost impossible to imagine the things you can do in the way of royalties. It all depends on what it is you want to do.

As far as the legalities of streaming itself, if you don't want to muck with royalty crap get permission before playing or do not play music/work you have not been given explicit permission to play.
- Jay
tjo7987

Post by tjo7987 »

A simple lisencing solution would be swcast.net
RJ

Post by RJ »

You may also want to look at Loudcity. (www.loudcity.net)

They have the best licensing plan and quite flexible. Check them out.

Cheers

RJ
Sc-Pro
Stream Host

Post by Sc-Pro »

I am a host I host shoutcast + have my own station to there is NO copy right laws about streaming as long as your not making money off your station I have had my attorney check into ...
http://scproradio.com Uplifting beats 24/7 Rock,Trance & Hip Hop..
http://shoutcastpro.com The ShoutCast host the offers you the most..
Gruver

Post by Gruver »

Hello,

I am thinking of using loudcity.net, i was just wondering if anyone else is or has used the service in the past and is it worth what you get. I want to have a legal stream and i dont want all the bs thats involved with doing it yourself. so any advice would be appreciated, thank you

Dan Gruver
streamfinder

Re: Online Radio Broadcasting- Legal issues

Post by streamfinder »

HardcoreTB wrote:Hey all,

First of all, I have to say that the information I have found here on the site has been extremely helpful and so, thank you.

That said, the only things I have yet to come across are any articles or other information concerning the legal end of online radio broadcasting such as copyright laws, where and how to obtain licenses (if needed), etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction (and hopefully not directly to a lawyer)?

-Hardcore

You might want to check out these links from the Shoutcast site. ...

-------

There have been recent amendments to the copyright law regarding webcasting of sound recordings. These new provisions allow webcasting under the terms of a statutory license, as a way to help webcasters get permission without having to go to each sound recording's owner. The statutory license, however, has strict requirements that you must follow. Some of these requirements include the payment of license fees, limitations on the number of songs from the same album or artist that may be played in a three hour period (called the sound recording performance complement); a prohibition on publishing advance playlists; and a requirement to identify the song, artist and album on the website. There are other requirements as well. The Recording Industry Association of America provides quite a bit of information on copyright law as it applies to webcasting, and both ASCAP and BMI have created license agreements that they are willing to grant to webcasters that they believe conform to the provisions of the new copyright rules for webcasting. For additional information on the statutory license and other aspects of webcasting, please visit the following sites:

* The U.S. Copyright Office
* The Recording Industry Association of America - particularly http://www.riaa.com/weblic/weblic.htm
* ASCAP - particularly http://www.ascap.com/weblicense/webintro.html
* BMI - particularly http://www.bmi.com/iama/webcaster/index.asp

--------

Hope that helps.

Streamfinder
---------------------------------------------
ImageStreamfinder, the FREE place to list your streaming audio.