Why so few unique listeners

Talk about Audio On Demand or Streaming
djclae

Why so few unique listeners

Post by djclae »

I was checking one of my two Shoutcast servers today, and was horrified to see that the unique listener count was at least 30 below the total count. Does anyone know why this number gets so high? I know that some people might have a shared IP address on a corporate LAN, dormitory, school etc, or even on a home network, but I don't think that would explain the exceptionally high amount of non-unique listeners I usually see. Is there some kind of stream-ripping program that likes to create multiple connections with the server, or is it even people running multiple stream rippers, or a stream ripper and a player at the same time?

This is one reason I look forward to eventually changing everything over to Steamcast, since it allows you to set how many connections to allow per IP. I'm going to set it to one. If there's a legitimate reason someone absolutely needs two connections, they can connect on the other server.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

there is a poorly designed streamripper plugin that does this, check the user agents if that doesn't yield results then you are likely to never know.
- Jay