Help with Steamcast and SAM4 via Icecast v2 Protocol

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
altimit

Help with Steamcast and SAM4 via Icecast v2 Protocol

Post by altimit »

I'm having trouble setting up SAM4 with Steamcast. In the past, I have just used the Shoutcast protocol with the default mount option, however my current setup will not allow that for reasons beyond the need of this post. The problem I am having, is I am trying to set it up as an Icecast v2 source, but am getting confused as to what I am doing wrong.

First off, Steamcast wants a user/pass combo to broadcast, but SAM4 only offers a password option. So I set up a mount (/broadcast) with a User (sambc) as a "Mount Source". I provide this mount and password to SAM4, and all I get is this error in the log "<10.42.0.11> No Source (/broadcast) {UA: }" (10.42.0.11 being the IP of SAM4). I am not sure how to proceed from here.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Re: Help with Steamcast and SAM4 via Icecast v2 Protocol

Post by Jay »

Yes, early encoders were pretty lazy with implementation of the Icecast 2 standard. When no username can be set in your encoder then you need to assume it will pass "source" as the username, so in Steamcast you will need to create a new Administrative or Mount Manager account with the username 'source' without quotes, then provide whatever password you like and use that in your SAM 4 encoder.
- Jay
altimit

Re: Help with Steamcast and SAM4 via Icecast v2 Protocol

Post by altimit »

Thank you, this was confusing me so much.