Fixed delay streaming?

Talk about Audio On Demand or Streaming
omega1

Fixed delay streaming?

Post by omega1 »

Hi all,

I was wondering if was possible to get a fixed delay, for arguements sake 30 seconds, on a stream between the server and the player? I intend to serve a 128kbps 44.1khz stereo stream.

In other words, I have my source on the server, playing away, and I would like the player to have a known delay lets say for arguements sake, of 30 seconds. Now I know that a delay is inevitable, but at the moment it seems a bit hit and miss depending on the internet connection and the bitrate used to encode.

Is there any way of setting it, even to longer than required, so that it is alsways the same delay in seconds rather than it varying?

Just to clarify, while I would like a low delay, I not trying to acheive this, just a stable delay that will be maintained (give or take a second or two).

Has anyone acheived this? What tips could you give me to modify settings on the server/player?

Thanks in advance!
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Re: Fixed delay streaming?

Post by Jay »

Unless you are writing the player you really have no control over the delay at the client side.

Are you looking for synchronization amongst clients? This is very difficult to achieve simply because of the way most client applications work.
- Jay
omega1

Post by omega1 »

Hi Jay,

Yes, I ended up writing the software myself so that I could code in a 'fixed' delay for each client. It seems to work very well (so far!)
Endrio

Post by Endrio »

What i need to do to simulate streaming a mp3 file..
Give me an example in any language...(pseudo code)
FSL: