What's new?

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
stationx

Re: What's new?

Post by stationx »

Hi Max,

Installed Wire shark now i'm suss its acutally crashing the box when this happens. Haven't been lucky enough to extract the needed info yet.

regards

Pete
Max

Post by Max »

You might setup having Wireshark running constantly with a ring buffer. If the system crashes then the ring buffer would stop around the crash. Hopefully capturing what caused it.

To note: Steamcast should not be causing your system to crash. As any Windows NT based system is designed to limit the impact of application crashes. If your Windows server is crashing this could indicate a problem with the drivers and how the drivers are handling it.

https://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsug_htm ... 1588230768
stationx

Post by stationx »

thanks max i'm working through it

regards
pete
stationx

Post by stationx »

Hi Max

Wire shark still totally crashing my VPS when this problem happens.

I've turned off "Screen Log" this window (not sure of what it's name is) now only shows the total datarate and the introduction. Not drawing the log for everything that the server does has seemed to have stopped it. I've not seen any similar events in the event log you get on the web interface. It still shows everything.

I also don't run steamcast as a windows service. I am not IT savvy enough in this area to know how to get two instances running. Would running as a windows service make any difference to this problem?

Regards
peter
Max

Post by Max »

No, running Steamcast as a service is just so that'll run in the background so you don't have to be logged in.
stationx

Post by stationx »

Looks like turning off "screen log" has been the fix Max. No drama's since.

cheers

peter
Max

Post by Max »

I think I've identified what could be causing this crash and it'll be fixed in the next version.
stationx

Post by stationx »

Thank you very much Max.... Sorry I couldn't get Wireshark to play nice. The fault only made the VPS that Steamcast was on bog down as it was sending the CPU to 100%. When I put Wireshark on to watch things that started the new chapter of totally crashing the VPS. All I've done is turn "screen log" off....and it hasn't happened since.

Any ideas on when we see the next version?

Regards and thank you for such a fine product.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

Hey there,

Max is hard at work doing an overhaul of the code base for the TLS capabilities. We don't anticipate a new version soon, but a public beta will definitely be available and we are going to need all the help we can get to test this. Stay tuned!
- Jay
stationx

Post by stationx »

Thanks Jay

Much appreciated!

Regards

Peter