open proxy scanner

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
tandilboy

open proxy scanner

Post by tandilboy »

:D a good feature is a open proxy monitor to fight against stream flooders
this may scan the standard ports (80, 1080, 6588, 8080, etc...) :D
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

I am not sure what you mean?
- Jay
tandilboy

Post by tandilboy »

ok. steamcast limits the connection per ip but if i use proxys, i can bypass this rule and i connect 4 or 6 or more players (when the limit is for example 2)
the scanner searchs the misconfigured proxys and ban the connection. (like a IRC proxy scanners)

note: if you search ips with proxy ports open you sure found 6 or 8 open proxys per 255 ips
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

well is this a real problem? I would think that after a few connections the proxy would be constrained bandwidth wise. The spirit of this feature is to keep someone from just consuming your entire server on a whim. It would be quite an achievement to do this with proxies.

Also I could see this check killing legitimate users who have these services or services using those common ports but are not using them and actually listening through their machine.

I am still open to this idea but I think it needs to be better defined then just a simple port scan.
- Jay