Streaming files on a remote server

Talk about Audio On Demand or Streaming
aipforum

Streaming files on a remote server

Post by aipforum »

Can anyone suggest a solution to this?

Most of our shows are live, but on weekends and late at night, we do some re-broadcasts of shows using sc_trans_linux and MP3s of the recorded shows.

Our Shoutcast server host gives us limited space for content storage which up until this weekend really hasn't been much of an issue. But due to popularity of a couple of our shows, the FM station manager extended their hours from 1 or 2 hours to 3 or 4 hours, and to re-broadcast these shows in their entirety, it's meant manually switching out MP3s all this weekend until we come up with a solution this next week.

I can't get sc_trans_linux to play anything hosted on our own server (the one that hosts our website, not the streaming server).

Can sc_trans_linux be configured somehow to play remotely hosted MP3s? Or am I just doing it wrong? I've tried having the .lst file point directly to the file (http://.../show1.mp3) and I've tried having it point to a .pls file that has all the MP3s listed. Neither works.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-- Brent
Brent T Johnson
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

sc_trans_linux will only play local mp3s.

I do not know of many command line sourcing programs that will do what you need. Most people will figure out a way to get the source program to run at the location of the mp3's or move the mp3's to a better source location.
- Jay
aipforum

Thanks

Post by aipforum »

Hi Jay ...
Thank you for the reply.
I had a feeling that would be the case. Yesterday was my day off and I literally spent hours looking for solutions. It looks like we may have to put together a dedicated computer and run something like SAM and just stream it ourselves instead of trying to rely on sc_trans_linux. Or the second option I figured into this would be installing our own boz that would run Shoutcast as relay. Or finally, with a little luck, maybe doing some clever scripting that would connect to the content server and switch out MP3s.

Then again, we may be approaching this completely wrong. We should just hit up the host for more space! Streaming spots are expensive, but surely disk space would come cheap. We'll even buy him an extra drive if needed :)

Well thanks. You confirmed what I pretty much thought and now, I can tell the boss with confidence he'll just have to open up his pocketbooks.

-- Brent
Brent T Johnson