Steamcast with Oddcast v3 transfer rate...

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
JRSweets

Steamcast with Oddcast v3 transfer rate...

Post by JRSweets »

Does anyone know why if I set Oddcast the encoded at say 48kbps/44100Hz/Stereo the transfer rate is alot higher? When a client connects the stream rate is never at 48 kbps.

People have connected with winamp and the stream rate is as high as 165 sometimes.

Any thoughts?
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

how long have they been connecting when you see that figure. Remember that steamcast pushes as much data as the client can handle when they initially connect so their reported transfer will be higher then the bitrate of the stream at that point. However it should settle back after a few minutes.
- Jay
JRSweets

Post by JRSweets »

I will have to connect for an extended period of time to see if it settles back down. However, if I use Shoutcast DSP to encode the stream instead of Oddcast then the stream rate stays the same and it stays at what I set it at.
WhiteWolf

Post by WhiteWolf »

You failed to mention which codec you were using, and I'll assume you're not using MP3. With Vorbis (espically not set in CBR mode), the value in the box is actually the percentage of quality... on 320kbit MP3 input material that may very well be 153Kbit or higher depending on the material input.

Try using another encoder, such as MP3 Lame
JRSweets

Post by JRSweets »

I am using the LAME MP3 encoder option set at 48 kbps.
JRSweets

Post by JRSweets »

I found the solution to my problem. The lame_enc.dll I was using was one designed to use preset and set to VBR encoding. Once I replaced it with a different version everything worked fine.

Thanks.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

alright, thanks for figuring it out, hopefully others with this problem will find your fix helpful.

Sorry we couldn't be much more help.
- Jay