Got some questions

Talk about Audio On Demand or Streaming
DragonFire1380

Got some questions

Post by DragonFire1380 »

Hello, new to the site..

I'll try to explain the best I can, A website that I am a member of has a streaming radio that members can stream to for the other members whenever they feel like it, which is all I have been doing so far.

At times the radio has been down and since only admins can fix the problem it's sometimes down for almost a day, this has started to annoy a few us.

So I was thinking of starting up server with someone like Fast-Serv that this website could use instead and since I am online more I could at least have the power to restart it when it needs to be..

So the questions,

1) I asume the server would have two differnet logins, one for say me the owner of the server and another for just those that I want to stream there stuff to it?

2) Does the bitrate that I pay for have to be used all the time, meaning if I pay for 192Kbps, can someone stream to the server using just 128Kbps?

3) Is it even allowed for me to let differnet people stream to the server or does it depend on the hosting company?

4) I know that the server will not be streaming 24/7 and I know the max concurrent listeners would be about 20, with that in mind (if it matters) is there any other hosting company I should look into besides Fast-Serv?

5) Since I don't feel like being ripped off, what is a good/avg price per slot for 128, 160,and 192Kbps?

6) Would the server be hidden from the outside world or does it get listed on sites automatically?

Thanks for the help.
stream staff
Stream Host

Post by stream staff »

1) I asume the server would have two differnet logins, one for say me the owner of the server and another for just those that I want to stream there stuff to it?

correct,, 1 admin pass and 1 server login to stream with,
the admin pass will give you kick ban reserve rights etc and al the normal stuff shoutcast does and the dj login is just that with no other rights.

2) Does the bitrate that I pay for have to be used all the time, meaning if I pay for 192Kbps, can someone stream to the server using just 128Kbps?

this is fine,
normally hosts only have a problem with the clients going over bitrate.

3) Is it even allowed for me to let differnet people stream to the server or does it depend on the hosting company?

you can share your details with anyone to use the server.

4) I know that the server will not be streaming 24/7 and I know the max concurrent listeners would be about 20, with that in mind (if it matters) is there any other hosting company I should look into besides Fast-Serv?

have a look at the http://www.radiotoolbox.com/hosts for a list or see here for our feedback http://forums.streamsolutions.co.uk/vie ... a38aef1503

5) Since I don't feel like being ripped off, what is a good/avg price per slot for 128, 160,and 192Kbps?

use the hosts page to comare prices, i would personally stick to the reviewed hosts at the top of the page as they have been honest and put themselves up for testing so people can monitor there performance.

6) Would the server be hidden from the outside world or does it get listed on sites automatically?

the server can be set to public or private this is your choice but the server stats cannot be hidden if thats what you mean.

if its public then it is listed on www.shoutcast.com

i hope this answers your questions.

Nick