can you specify a start time with shoutcast?

Talk about whatever.
parsnip11

can you specify a start time with shoutcast?

Post by parsnip11 »

hello,

i was wondering if there's any way (perhaps via the magic of .pls or .m3u) to specify a start time for on-demand streaming.

for instance, lets say i have a 1 hour mp3 and I want to make a link that will start playing the mp3 20 minutes into the file. anyway to do that?

ram files allow you to specify start times with rm files.... i'm looking for similar functionality.

any help greatly appreciated...

thanks,
p
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

hmm, well once I get frame reading finished you will be able to do this with Mp3 ToolBox (works in Windows Already) but if you have some sort of attachment to the shoutcast server then no, shoutcast is just a dumb server (technically speaking) it just waits for requests and responds, there is no decoding of the mp3 at the server so there is no way to do something like that. There is also no support for this in the pls files and I am pretty sure there is nothing like this in M3U.
- Jay
herranz

Post by herranz »

I thought this thread adressed a subject I've been wondering for some time: is it possible to switch from inputs in the Shoutcast? What I want to do is automatically switch from Line input to a winamp list at given hours. For example, from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM my Shoutcast will use the line input and from 3:00 to 3:30 it will switch to a determined playlist, then from 3:30 to 4:00 again to line input. Is that a possibility or just my fantasy?
Jay

Post by Jay »

You can but you must use the old linerec:// method of recording from a soundcard to a stream. You could just put this addy in your playlist or use the windows schedular to execute a pls file that has this linerec:// addy in it and then use it to pop back to a playlist.
- Jay
herranz

Post by herranz »

Jay, I know that your answer is perfect and solves my doubt completely, but I don't understand it, I'm sorry. What is that linerec:\\ thing and how do i do it? :(
herranz

Post by herranz »

Hey, Jay, maybe it is too basic for you, but I'm still a begginer, not having the time to devout to learn all I want. Can you please explain how to do this linerec:\\ thing to automatically switch from Inputs?
Jay

Post by Jay »

In Winamp Pres CTRL+L and then type in linerec://
Click OK if it doesn't say Line Recording in Winamp then go to the shoutcast dj downloads section at Shoutcast.com and look for the line recording plugin.
- Jay