Multi-stream package deals?

Talk about Audio On Demand or Streaming
Jay Levitt

Multi-stream package deals?

Post by Jay Levitt »

Our upcoming college radio station is going to have four Shoutcast streams. Are there any streaming hosts that will allow us to share slots across those four streams as a package deal? EGIHosting already said no, and Fastserv hasn't returned a phone call from Friday...
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

I would think that to a large degree it would all depend on how much you are spending. If you are talking about more then 2000 listener split across 4 servers I am sure someone would be willing to work with you.
- Jay
Jay Levitt

Post by Jay Levitt »

Good question. I have no idea what types of simultaneous user counts to expect in the streaming radio world (college or otherwise). On our initial test station, which just ran a bunch of mixed-quality stuff on random play through iTunes, we got 20 or so. Last place I worked, we had a few million at peak hours. I figure the station will be somewhere in between.

Does anyone publish their peak user count? I'd be curious to know what the range is. Otherwise, I guess I go rent 50 or 100, and plan to revise very, very rapidly...
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

I always recommend starting small, to control costs. Starting at 50 is a very reasonable number, if you list in the yp and have good content it may take you a few days before that is really crammed. If you do heavy promotion via traditional media, then guage based off what size audience you think you will pull from then. Think low. You can always add more if needed.
- Jay