steamcast 0.9.75-beta: transcoding to Ogg on Linux

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
polemon

steamcast 0.9.75-beta: transcoding to Ogg on Linux

Post by polemon »

Hi.

I have an MP3 stream coming from a steamcast source, and I'd like to transcode that stream into Ogg.

I tried using StreamTranscoderV3, but sometimes steamcast crashes wit Segmentation fault, sometimes.

When I set StreamTranscoderV3 to act as Shoutcast source (I tried as Icecast and Icecast2 before), it seems to work, the log and the Admin interface report data being transmitted, but when a client connects, no data comes to the client. Or at least, the line remains silent.

When in Icecast2 mode, Steamcast crashed with segmentation fault.

Could anyone suggest a transcoder, that works nicely with steamcast, runs with Linux, and can transcode into Ogg?

That would be great!

--polemon
polemon

Post by polemon »

I checked wether I get any data at all:

Code: Select all

$ curl http://justbase.fm:8100/ogg-high.ogg | hexdump
There is data coming to the client.
But obviously, the player doesn't seem to detect the Ogg-data.

I dumped a portion of what's coming through the stream, and no player I tried it with, is able to play it.
mplayer isn't reporting anything, aside that it can't play the file. VLC, however says it can't recognize the audio format.

I also noticed, that no ICY or HTTP headers are being sent prior to the audio stream.

Any suggestions?
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

the stream appears to be down.
- Jay
polemon

Post by polemon »

Oh! I didn't expect anyone to actually try it themselves.

I'll start the server right away!
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

interesting, could be a bug in the OggHandler in steamcast. I'll check it before next release.
- Jay