Windows Media Streaming

Talk about Audio On Demand or Streaming
jrst3

Windows Media Streaming

Post by jrst3 »

Hey guys im a newbie to this so if you can direct on how to go about this I will be so greatful. I recently made a shoutcast server so that my family could listen to music from me n my cuz band & our friends liked what we were doing so its(the stream) has gotn a bit popular. the problem is that some are not administrators & only have the windows media player. I was told by the shoutcast forum that I need a windows media server. I now have a windows server cd but havnt installed it on a pc just yet. My question is after i do install it how do i set it up so that i can stream my content so that my family & friends can listen to it :?: or is there some free program or somthin out there tht i can use so tht it will play in windows media player... Please help
How I See People, How I See God, How I See Society
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

Who ever told you that was misinformed, Windows media player can listen to an mp3 stream from shoutcast just fine.
- Jay
jrst3

Post by jrst3 »

Ok I have my shoutcast plug-in running on mp3 format and is getting its source frm the line in. but friends have told me it wont open in windows media. I was looking at the steamcast page n realised that it was playing in windows media most of the time. So should ijust switch to steamcast or what or is there any other free way to stream so that it would play in windows media?
How I See People, How I See God, How I See Society
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

Well I would suspect that your friends are not tuning in the proper way or there might be something else going on that is causing them to not be able to tune in such as a firewall or proxy setup. Many companies will block non-standard ports as well, so you might try broadcasting on port 80 to see if it resolves their issue.
- Jay
SdZ
Stream Host

Post by SdZ »

The problem could be the playlist format. Shoutcast uses .pls by default which isn't associated with any program on a default windows installation.

Theres a couple of solutions to this. Firstly you could get them to install Winamp which associates itself with .pls files. OR you could create a .m3u playlist which links to your shoutcast servers address and give that link out. M3U playlists play in windows media player by default.

Hope this helps :)