Stream links which 'open' and not 'save'

Talk about Audio On Demand or Streaming
Busby

Stream links which 'open' and not 'save'

Post by Busby »

I'm rebuilding my site and discovered that the 'listen' links no longer work like they used to.

If I created a 'pls' link it used to open in Winamp, asx in Media Player and so on, all they do now is save a file.

Any suggestions as to how I fix this (if possible) would be most welcome.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Re: Stream links which 'open' and not 'save'

Post by Jay »

You will need to re-associate those files extensions to your favorite local applications. These capabilities don't come by default. These associations are also a device specific choice. So be aware that just because it works on your device does not automatically mean that is the way it will function for everyone else.
- Jay
Busby

Post by Busby »

Ah, right Jay - I had thought that might be the case, but hoped there would be some way of forcing the link to open in any device instead of downloading.

I have tried using direct mp3 links instead of playlist files, which at least opens in a browser, but I presently have multiple servers listed in my playlists in the event a server is down or full.

Any other ways of dealing with this or is that how things are?
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

If you are running all MP3 streams then you can use the <audio> tag in browsers to detect if the browser supports mp3 codecs. If it does your station can play in that element. Also check out WebAudio to see all of the options. While this will play your station through the browser if you want to show Now playing information you will need to do a little javascript magic to get that working.

For distributing your listeners among relays you can also deploy some javascript to select a random relay for your audio component.
- Jay
Busby

Post by Busby »

Thanks Jay..

I'm not a coder so it means not a lot to me I'm afraid. If there was a sample file I could modify I might be able to manage, but without that I'm at a loss..