newbie needs some help, couple questions!!

Talk about Audio On Demand or Streaming
chrisx

newbie needs some help, couple questions!!

Post by chrisx »

Ok heres the scoop. Currently we have a server which has no less than three music e-commerce shops running on it. Each shop has sound clips for people to click on and listen to. Currently these are recorded using real audio. trouble is these files are not being streamed but downloaded and listen to via real player. as more people are listening more data is transferred so on so forth everything gets slower. Between the 3 sites the traffic is about 5000+ visits a week to listen to clips.

We are investigating installing streaming software on the server to stream the sound files whether that be in mp3 or real audio. Looking like cheapest option is mp3. anyway. nned to know a few things....

SHOUTcast -
is it any good?
will it enable multiple web sites to stream multiple sound clips?
how is this set up if so?
one SC server for each web site?
or one SC server for all?
how do i set it up to do this?

any help people have much appreciated.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

It really depends on how you want to distribute the load, look in SHOUTcast's readme and configuration file for instructions on how to setup the on-demand part of the server.
- Jay
chrisx

Post by chrisx »

I have been informed that shoutcast cannot really do what we are after, in terms of multiple web sites with many different sound files that many different users can listen to.

i have looked at the files in shoutcast and didnt really find they helped answer my questions at all