Subscription based service ... how do you do it?

Talk about Audio On Demand or Streaming
ardi

Subscription based service ... how do you do it?

Post by ardi »

Hello,

I've been seeing more and more internet radios adding a subscription based service for usually 128 kbps quality and higher. This helps those listeners that want high quality and also might recover some of the fees for low quality broadcasting that we all pay out of our own pocket. So it seems like a win win situation ... how is this possible with shoutcast and/or windows media, technically...

I remember a couple of years back some ppl were saying that it still wasn't a bulletproof method ... now with all these radios offering I suppose that it has become technically feasible. StreamGuys are offering something like that but for a crazy sign up fee of $500 per channel!

thanks all :)
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

generally what you need to do is build a system to manage it. For shoutcast a bit a scripting and setting RIP's for those registered can work but there are yet still bugs with this method, including the fact that the server can crash when it reaches capacity. This can be overcome by denying the entry of any other RIP's until someone logs out. If you are looking for something more turn key Audiorealm offers a complete subscription system and they will take care of the royalties for that subscription stream and the costs of the server as well. You just provide the content.
- Jay
ardi

Post by ardi »

I checked the ShoutCast forum and found the "RIP" solution, will check it out. Audiorealm is not for me b/c first I don't like their service and I don't need to pay royalties.

What about the windows media streaming, do you have any information on that? Subscription based soultion maybe some type of extra software offered by M$?
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

if there is I am not sure where to get it. I believe alot of people build their own subscription platforms. The big issue being billing and integration with the server. Rumors are there is supposed to be a Pro version of SHOUTcast that will allow you to set your content up behind authentication but not sure on when that will be released.
- Jay