password protecting on-demand streams?

Talk about whatever.
parsnip11

password protecting on-demand streams?

Post by parsnip11 »

hello... I need help figuring out a streaming set-up:

I have two servers: one is an mp3 file server and the other is a web server. The web server requires authentication via a php login page. Once people have logged in I want to provide them links that will allow them to play files on the mp3 server. The catch is I do not want to allow download of the file directly.

I'm thinking that perhaps I'll set up shoutcast on my web server, mount the mp3 file server as an SMB share and just have shoutcast stream off of that. Does that sound reasonable?

Here's my question: how do i secure shoutcast so that only authorized users can get on-demand files?

Does anyone have any other suggestions about how to go setting this up?
parsnip11

anyone? bueller? bueller?

Post by parsnip11 »

cmon... surely SOMEONE here must have some ideas about password protecting on-demand files...

any suggestions very much greatly appreciated... is this something that radio toolbox can do?
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

no, radio toolbox cannot do this, at least not officially. You can modify mp3 toolbox to do this, or you can setup Apache to do this using .htaccess or configuration files.
- Jay
webranger

Post by webranger »

There really isn't any way to really protect content from download, except to use one of the professional options (WMP, Real etc.).

As far as a password system, I just place the (.m3u) playlist files in a .htaccess protected directory. That way you can't get the playlist file, unless you have the password.
[size=0]New! City of Roses Radio - Rock, Blues, Jazz More[/size]
Sc-Pro
Stream Host

Post by Sc-Pro »

if the server has cpanel u can password protected a folder
http://scproradio.com Uplifting beats 24/7 Rock,Trance & Hip Hop..
http://shoutcastpro.com The ShoutCast host the offers you the most..