streaming

Talk about Audio On Demand or Streaming
Russ56

streaming

Post by Russ56 »

jay question ....when i connect to my server to stream...a person with a certain ip logs onto the server.the ip# is 205.188.234.161 as soon as this ip logs onto the server to listen it lags me n kicks me off my broadcaster....as soon as he logs off i get it back...but each time he logs on it happens...you trace the ip back it oes to shoutcast...can you help and tell me wth is going on...
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

that is the shoutcast directory tester, it does this to ensure that your stream is shoutcast complient. It certainly shouldn't kick your source, if it kicks your listeners then it is in the RIP list, which is crucial for being added to the directory, if your server is full when it tries to connect you will be denied listing.
- Jay
Russ56

Streamin

Post by Russ56 »

well i'll be honest with you...it does kick me off the stream every time that number or any of the other numbers the tester uses,205.188.234.161,162,163,164,165,166,167,168,169...why would a tester need to use this many numbers..just curious....but yes now for 3 months i've been dealing with loosing connection ..it's getting old if they don't try to connect it's fine i do not have any problems when i say its getting old...what i mean is when im streaming and i have 40+ listeners....it kicks my stream i loose listeners because they say iam buffering and they move on...the remedy to this is not to test me...im not sure if anyone else is having this problem,i do not pay shoutcast to stream so why test me...i pay the people i get my server from.if i sound upset iam i just want it to stop...it's just getting damn old....thnx for the response Jay,Russ
Jay

Post by Jay »

I would talk to your host provider in this case. the directory tester should not cause you buffering. Alternatively, you can just make your stream private and shoutcast won't need to test your stream as you will no longer request to be listed at www.shoutcast.com
- Jay
Russ56

if i go private

Post by Russ56 »

if i go private does this mean i loose listeners or will that effect it....or does that just not list me on shoutcast web sites
Jay

Post by Jay »

well any listeners that you would get from shoutcast.com would be lost so you lose an outlet to advertise your stream. Your current listeners will notice no effect and those who have bookmarked your stream or gain access to it through your website will still be able to get to it.
- Jay
Russ56

thx jay also

Post by Russ56 »

if this is a tester...then tell me why this tester needs to change ip#'s to acess the test....why not use just 1 ip#...i have tracked this tester for 3 months in 3 months its used 50 different ip#'s...my bigest question is if its testing and it connects 1 time why does it need to continue connect multiple times....once it tested the stream that should be it...i my case i think connecting 20 times to test is a bit much...again thnx jay russ
Jay

Post by Jay »

the directory tester only makes 2 connections when your server requests to be added to the directory. The first one is a connection to the audio portion of your server, the second is to the web interface. Please check to see if you see any yp-adds near the connection attempts. If you do then these are legit tests, if you don't or see excessive connecting by the yp tester then contact your hosting provider to see if they can investigate further for you. AOL houses many IP's and they use different machines due to the sheer load of connection attempts from different shoutcast servers, so 10 ip's is really not a whole lot.
- Jay