Steamcast shuts down while streaming (possible bug)

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

Ok let me know if it does crash or not. Then I can at least pin point where the problem may be.
- Jay
RSBN

Post by RSBN »

After 75 minutes of no errors locally with no logging enabled, I uploaded it and started it. I'll see if it stays stable with no logging enabled.

I'll let you know how it is working after the server fills up and starts being hammered.
Jay

Post by Jay »

ok with all logging capabilities enabled a wrote a utility to hammer the server (faster then a script) it's connecting at an astonishing 115 connections per second and still no crashing.

I'll let it go for a bit though. At least I think we might finally be getting somewhere. If I still get stumped I will send you the utility to test out on your system and really hammer it good.
- Jay
RSBN

Post by RSBN »

Sounds good... Still up and running, but it hasn't been hammered hard yet.
Jay

Post by Jay »

shame, I still can't get it to crash been hammering for a few hours now. My Steamcast log is now 70MB. Maybe it's a Win2k thing. Do you have all the latest patches for your system?

I'll reuplaod what I have at www.steamcast.com/downloads/steamcast/steamcast.exe

When you get a chance try it out and see if it still causes problems, also make sure you have the latest versions of winamp etc.
- Jay
RSBN

Post by RSBN »

Steamcast has remained stable all night with logging off. I'll try your latest upload locally today and see if I can get it to crash with logging turned on.

If you send me your hammer utility I can hammer it harder than it will ever get hammered in the real world.

Thanks again for your help.
RSBN

Post by RSBN »

I killed that one with 10 winamps hammering on it with all logging turned on and no source. I could still use your utility to hammer the server with logging disabled and then add logging one by one to find the error.

I have all the patches installed on my w2k machines along with the latest bios upgrades.

Update-----

With screen log only enabled and no source it is stable with 42 requests per second until I try to open or view anything on the machine it is running on. With screen log only enabled and with source...with 42 per second it crashes within 10 minutes.

With nothing enabled other than log file and no source it looked to be stable for a 1 hour test while I was doing other things on the same computer.

Here is where it gets interesting...

Log file only enabled I was hammering at 42 per second and added the source. With the server configured for one stream, 5 players connected and started streaming. I disconnected 4 of those players and steamcast remained stable, with 42 requests per second, for 20 minutes before sutting down.

With these findings, it appears that the error is being caused by more than one area of the code. I believe that steamcast becomes confused by multiple requests at precisely the same time, when there is a source attached and file logging is enabled. With screenlog only enabled steamcast only allowed 1 connection, but died in 10 minutes. With all logging disabled steamcast is rock solid, no matter what I throw at it.

I hope this helps...
Jay

Post by Jay »

it's definatley starting to sound like your system's I/O is different from mine.
- Jay
RSBN

Post by RSBN »

Would a slight delay after authorization and before logging help? I mean to allow the server to finish the authorization process and close that process before opening and completing the logging process then allowing a new authorization process to begin. All of that could be accomplished in less than a second. Or is that the way it is setup already?
mgunter

Post by mgunter »

Steamcast had been working great for me up until the steamcast.com site went offline, then it was crashing within 10 seconds after startup. However, the new "super beta" posted here has fixed it.
Limedrink

Post by Limedrink »

I\'m having a similar problem with Fedora Core 1:

http://forums.radiotoolbox.com/viewtopi ... =4455#4455

Limedrink.