First Time User & Few Questions (It Runs no Worries :P)

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
aqua

First Time User & Few Questions (It Runs no Worries :P)

Post by aqua »

@Jay
just wanted to say very nice app you have here, you deserve much props. I mostly have a few questions and comments for you.

Questions:

One which im sure you get a lot, why not open source?
If you dont want to answer this i understand. Im not mad cause its not just kinda curious.

Is it normal for ice/shout to send 2x data to listeners then the source is really sending? i seen this and it boggled my mind as to why its doing this. (Taken from a running server:)

Code: Select all

Source: Listen 2/20	0h 11m 11s	7.68 MB	93 kbps	[5] 0
Listen: xmms/1.2.10	0h 09m 49s	13.80 MB	191 kbps	0	[4] {19} 16384
Listen: RMA/1.0 com	0h 08m 24s	11.87 MB	192 kbps	0	[4] {19} 16384
Is there any way at all to add mount points to the server without restarting it. i tried SIGHUP and SIGUSR1 to re-read the config but they dont work. HUP rotated logs but i think it should make it reload the config so i dont have to restart it.

and finally, after playing around, me and a friend noticed the 'Playing' field not getting updated when new tracks are being played, im currently testing steamcast and icecast and on icecast this works fine but steamcast keeps the original playing field of the mount, even if i kick the source and a new source connects. we have tried with multipul source clients as well.

Comments:

Maybe put the html in an external folder and allow people to make there own themes :)

Last but not least amazing job one the first person to get the whole streaming server right :) i just kinda wish all mount points on one ip could be accessed as shoutcast (not your fault :P)
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Re: First Time User & Few Questions (It Runs no Worries

Post by Jay »

aqua wrote: One which im sure you get a lot, why not open source?
If you dont want to answer this i understand. Im not mad cause its not just kinda curious.
Well actually I have a few reasons. First there already is an open source streamer, in fact there are several. Icecast2 is one of them why do we need another open source project to compete with Icecast2? Also my code is pretty bad. It would be extremely difficult for anyone to update or manage my code.
aqua wrote: Is it normal for ice/shout to send 2x data to listeners then the source is really sending? i seen this and it boggled my mind as to why its doing this. (Taken from a running server:)

Source: Listen 2/20	0h 11m 11s	7.68 MB	93 kbps	[5] 0
Listen: xmms/1.2.10	0h 09m 49s	13.80 MB	191 kbps	0	[4] {19} 16384
Listen: RMA/1.0 com	0h 08m 24s	11.87 MB	192 kbps	0	[4] {19} 16384
This is normal, the reason you see this is due to the Fill Buffer on Connect feature. If you were to turn down Buffer Utilization to a lower percentage then they would pretty much match the source's stream speeds. This is exactly how SHOUTcast is setup and Icecast2 has added this feature as well. The difference here is Steamcast is giving you the stat so it might throw you :)
aqua wrote: Is there any way at all to add mount points to the server without restarting it. i tried SIGHUP and SIGUSR1 to re-read the config but they dont work. HUP rotated logs but i think it should make it reload the config so i dont have to restart it.
This feature is coming.
aqua wrote: and finally, after playing around, me and a friend noticed the 'Playing' field not getting updated when new tracks are being played, im currently testing steamcast and icecast and on icecast this works fine but steamcast keeps the original playing field of the mount, even if i kick the source and a new source connects. we have tried with multipul source clients as well.
Well this would be all dependent on how your configuration is, it could be due to your SrcIP being different then your ServIP if you are using SHOUTcast mode in your source client. If you are using the Icecast2 style then try SHOUTcast style and see if that fixes it.
aqua wrote: Maybe put the html in an external folder and allow people to make there own themes :)
This has been brought up several times, not on my own project but on SHOUTcast as well, and really all I have to say is the same thing said about SHOUTcast. Why? The admin panel is not really meant to be used as a public portal but as a tool to configure and control your server.
aqua wrote: Last but not least amazing job one the first person to get the whole streaming server right :) i just kinda wish all mount points on one ip could be accessed as shoutcast (not your fault :P)
thanks for your enthusiasm hopefully the rest I have planned will not let you down ;)
- Jay
aqua

SHoutcast Support

Post by aqua »

Jay.

Thanks a lot for the fast response. Its very well appreciated. one more question and comment :)

I for the life of me cannot get Shoutcast-DSP or Oddsock Source to connect to my server in shoutcast mode at all. here is my config for the stream below (right now the ONLY stream in my config)

SourceMount=/trance
SourceUser=ptrance
SourcePass=tranceattack
SourceUserMax=100
SourceAvgBitrateLimit=192
SourceIsSC=Yes
SourceIsDefault=Yes
If im forgetting something or you would like the entire configuration file please hollar back.

with this config i can connect as icecase2 with oddcast no problem what so ever, but shoutcast refuses to connect, it just sits there.

Maybe change how the config looks or something (maybe its just me that doesnt like it now)

anyway, thanks again
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

well remember that shoutcast connects on PortBase + 1

so if you have any firewalls or anything like that it may have connection difficulties if you have not opened that port as well.
- Jay