couple steamcast questions and stuff

Steamcast is a stand alone server that combines the features of SHOUTcast and Icecast2 and more to make one mega awesome server.
betatester
Stream Host

couple steamcast questions and stuff

Post by betatester »

Ok, here goes...

First, and most importantly... Is there an SDK or documentation about creating my own YP directory to add my steamcast servers to?

Also, is steamcast not compatable with the shoutcast encoder? I have steamcast set up correctly, but my valid password is turning up invalid at the server so I can't start encoding. I've tried a few different settings and just can't get this going.

Other then that, I'm gonna keep playing with this, and hopefully making the leap for the long term ;)

You can add Red Had Enterprise 3 to the list of supported OS.

Thanks!
Lane

Post by Lane »

Off the top of my questionable head, you might try a username of "Source" to be compatible with the shoutcast dsp.
betatester
Stream Host

Post by betatester »

Thanks for the reply.

I gave your idea a try but no dice.

I'm not sure if thats a bug or what...

It relays like a champ though ;)

**I actually found the answere to my first question in the winamp forums of all places...thought I'd quote it here before someone has to repeat himself ;)
KXRM wrote:I assume you are asking HOW to become a YP?

Simple just check out the information on Icecast2's directory structure, it's pretty much standardized, write up a small script or program to accept all of the server's entries and store them to a database.

The standard can be found at http://www.oddsock.org/icecast2yp/spec.html

Then on your website publish information on how to configure Icecast/Steamcast to list on your directory, usually this is just simply posting the url to your yp touch script.
Building is under-way~

Still curious about that encoder though...
Jay
Will work for food (Administrator)

Post by Jay »

read the YP article in the articles subforum for our slant on the yp spec.

also post your config, most likely you have a configuration problem.

Read the steamcast docs on how to properly setup mounts or post them here and I can help you resolve the issue.
- Jay
betatester
Stream Host

Post by betatester »

Well, I've read through all the available information and anything I could find in google regaring the YP, but it sure feels like I'm re-inventing the wheel.

Existing directories are all essentially using the identical backend (duh, there's only 1 API)...It seems like somewhere I should be able to just grab an open source backend...then get to work on my PHP front end to put together a decent directory.

From reading, an incorrectly configured YP can cause issues from other YP's...so a standardized backend might be good.

None the less...

I'm not sure what you mean about "mount point". I've never seen such a thing in the shoutcast DSP ;)

Appropriately, I avoided the whole area thinking "this is for icecast, I'm not using icecast...screw it" lol!

:?:
Jay

Post by Jay »

i agree, an open source yp backend would be nice, and I plan on making my code available at some point.

The mount point is something you do not have to concern yourself with in shoutcast dsp, steamcast matches you to a mountpoint based off your login.
- Jay
betatester
Stream Host

Post by betatester »

Thanks for your help Jay.

I found the issue with the login: a stupid space :( I pulled back the space and poof she works lol!

For the YP thing, its currently the show stopper for porting all of my customers and my own servers to steamcast. Its the primary function (for me) thats lacking in shoutcast. Grabbing the XML stats is not a very good way to handle hundreds of servers for directory listings...and with all the logins doesn't seem very wise.

I've started on in CGI based on the icecast2 trunk version...unfortunately I can't get libcgi working, so I'm still needing to start from scratch.

It looks like you and the other (non shoutcast) directories have gone with PHP?

I wonder, would it be possable to see what you've done in confidence (perhaps under clause?) that I won't re-release it?

I've set up mySQL as described in the various "specs"...and the interface I have is working relatively decent. I think for my needs a PHP version would be better/faster, though I'm a bit clueless for setting up that angle. I can build php to interface pulling data from SQL, but my skills are limited with posting data to the database via PHP.

A running start would be greatly appreciated since, like I said, its like re-inventing the wheel :lol:

Thanks again for your help, and I sure hope you continue/complete this project... Even as it sits right now, this is by far the best server solution to pop out of the wood work since SC was bought by AOL ;)

I'm quite excited about this, and look forward to being part of this projects growth!

Cheers!
Jay

Post by Jay »

yes perhaps I can get my yp code out with the next release.

Seems to have been solid but the mysql backend is completely different then Icecast's they branched away a version ago.

Perhaps I will start a sourceforge project for it later.

Give me a few days to get everything in order. I really need to get a new steamcast out soon but stuff keeps building up here so I haven't had as much time as I would have liked.
- Jay
betatester
Stream Host

Post by betatester »

No problem Jay. I definitly look forward to seeing what you've come up with for the YP. I think mine is definitly not going to work long term (it took a spill about 15 minutes ago for reasons I'm unsure of).

I wanted to mention...it looks like you can add Red Hat 9 and Fedora 3 to the list of supported servers.

I have a suse box around here somewhere...I'll try it there too. Debian does NOT work and so far neither does FreeBSD 4.9. I'm not entirely sure why...it seems debian always needs a custom setup of anything you want to run. FreeBSD is just uber geeky, maybe thats the problem there. **EDIT** NARF! Just found your BSD 4X release ;) Works like a champ lol!

Anyways, thanks again ;)

Looking forward to the next release, you have a fan now ;)

Cheers!
betatester
Stream Host

Post by betatester »

These appear to be some bugs...

You need to kill (pid) three times to completely kill the steamcast process (*nix systems).

After a buffer under-run, the server buffer doesn't fully recover, and future connections only buffer to %80-85 (testing at 320k - you can find me in your directory ;) )

Otherwise, I have steamcast fully integrated into a very nice multi broadcast system. Just keeping my fingers crossed for a look at your YP ;)

Cheers!
Jay

Post by Jay »

the kill pid is normal. there are things steamcast tries to do when shutting down. It is trying to be graceful if you do SIGINT or SIGTERM it a couple of time it will shutdown without being graceful.

How are you determining the buffer usage?
- Jay
betatester
Stream Host

Post by betatester »

I can see on the server admin screen that steamcast isn't processing the data correctly anymore.

It would typically range from 328-341k...after a buffer under-run it was frozen at 307k and stopped fluctuating.

Trying to start the stream in winamp, the buffer loaded %80 and stopped. No errors or anything, just the ICY info.

I had to give it a reboot.
betatester
Stream Host

Post by betatester »

Here's another strange bug, though I'm not sure how to really describe it.

After streaming solid for about 28 hours at 320k in relay, I noticed I was no longer listed at shoutcast.

I noticed I was getting a lot of the following (note, the source channel is not busy, and is set to recognize this server with listener priority):
[06/07/2005@20:56:36] Source Channel #1 Busy, retrying in 10 secs...
I also found a core dump of 427MB 8O

Shoutcast is also kicking back an odd error... It starts up with me no problem, and shortly afterwards (about 30 second) shoutcast comes back with the following:
<yp.shoutcast.com> Socket Error
And a seg fault to core.dump (I can mail you the core dump if you want, I'm not going to try to post it here).

I rebooted the server again...check out this error:
Relay Thread #1: host returned error (Ò¶:4ËÉh¨{?ªÓyB
BèC¸ò7;,+y9ØôïêÕö,­BÚ@µs
K6+-KËÌ#f·/¡ÀöQmÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿí´ãqÉ")
[06/07/2005@21:03:45] Relay Thread #1 lost connection, reconnecting in 10 secs....
[06/07/2005@21:03:45] Relay Thread #0 lost connection, reconnecting in 10 secs....
Here is a copy of my steamcast.conf:

****I believe I figured out the issue after re-reading my post, it was a steamcast.conf configuration issue****
Jay

Post by Jay »

ok well let me know what you did to cause that. Definately should put in some checks for this condition.
- Jay
betatester
Stream Host

Post by betatester »

<!--She's bound to do strange things and reproduce strange output...its what I do :lol:

What happened, is that I am generating the server config in my CMS. It accidentally looped through and created the config 2 times to the same file (so the server read the same config 2 times since it was all on one page).

I removed all but the config that should be there and it worked again.

To duplicate:
Open the config file. Select all, paste all to the bottom of the file. Save and close. Boot your server and watch her go nuts ;)